Sunday 30 July 2017

So Many Resources, So Little Time!

We are back into back to school preparation where I live.  Once July comes to a close, teachers begin thinking about the first few weeks of school.  To be honest, I'm always thinking about school. I've been working on a summer course for teaching English language learners.  This is where I began my career and this is where it will unwind.  I always thought I'd concentrate on Math but I've always had the desire to return to my roots of watching language acquisition unfold.  To be honest, I love Literacy!  It embeds every aspect of the curriculum.

When it comes to Literacy, I 've accumulated quite a stock of resources.  From Debbie Diller to Tony Stead, I have it all.  The problem is finding enough time to sit down and read one from cover to cover. Now, with this new position, I've begun to accumulate new resources.  I love this new one from Fenner and Snyder:  Unlocking English Learners' Potential



It's the why and how to access English language learner's potential.  There are tips for scaffolding, promotion of oral language development and academic language, analyzing text through close reading and text-dependent questions, building background knowledge and designing formative assessments.

The strategies in this book are perfect for any teacher of English language learners.  Whether it is in a mainstream program or sheltered class, this resource will support instruction.  Now, off to reading the next book. 

No comments: