Monday, 20 July 2015

Assessment - So You Have to Document Knowledge and Skills?

Assessment has always been a difficult thing to do.  With a plethora of assessment tools out there for educators what do you choose?  When do you assess?  What do you assess?  It's certainly overwhelming.  Here are a few things I use and my students love them!

Plickers.com

If you haven't tried this, it's a must!  It's an app I use on my iphone to scan students' responses to questions generated by me.  The app scans a card that is printed for each student with its own unique code.  Plickers is a simple tool that collects real time assessment data without the need for student devices.

Visual Rubrics and Qualifiers

Younger students don't generally understand what a rubric is.  So, I created my own visual rubrics using pictures such as apples and snowmen.  These are things students are familiar with.  Here's an example:



Students are often involved in creating their own rubrics.  I have a predetermined vocabulary chart of qualifiers or words that assist students in understanding a 4, 3, 2 and 1 level.  From those words, they generate their own rubrics.  The process is lengthy but students often understand their own rubrics better than the ones I give them.

Here are some examples of qualifiers I provide:  consistently (4), most of the time (3), some of the time (2) and minimal (1).


No comments: