Thursday, 16 April 2015

Reaching Reluctant Writers

We've all heard it!  "I don't know what to write!"  I've finally realized that if I force a writing topic on my students, they won't know what to write.  Writing is based on life experiences.  Not every student has the same experience.  So, I've developed a strategy:  make it all about choice.  Here are a few things that have worked for me:

Recount Writing
Students always have stories to tell.  Over the years I've heard about "ouches", birthdays, movies, etc. I developed these covers to give students the opportunity write about their events.  There is no rubric attached to it.  It's an open journal available to all.  Just grab a dollar store book and paste the cover on.  This is an invitation to write.  I've also included thematic pencils to entice even my most reluctant writer.




 

What to do with all those books?  I needed to house them in a place that students could reach for them during free writing.  So, I created this display using a trifold board.  

I used library pockets and attached sign out cards to them.  I could easily have 10 "Ouch" books because that has definitely been the most popular one.  

Here's a freebie to get you started on recount writing.  It's available with 2 different spellings.  If you click on this link, it will lead you to the word "favorite".










No comments: